The Vendée Globe is said to be the Everest of ocean races.
It is also a unifying moment around the oceans which, every four years, unites the skippers, their sponsors, young people, the inhabitants of Les Sables d’Olonne, the local economic and associative fabric and thousands of visitors.
It is the ideal moment to put the spotlight on the threats weighing on the oceans and to raise awareness of the fundamental issue of their protection.
Faithful to its mission of education and awareness raising, The SeaCleaners will be present in Les Sables-d’Olonne during the 3 weeks before the start of the race to promote the ocean as a common heritage of humanity, explain the extent of plastic pollution and its consequences, teach simple and concrete eco-actions that can reduce it, encourage the debate of ideas and make everyone responsible around this issue.
From October 17th to November 8th, meet us:
– In the Departure Village: visit the SeaCleaners corner of the Pays de la Loire Region stand for activities to raise awareness and share scientific knowledge, all public.
– In town, Place du Poilu de France, every day: visit the SeaCleaners stand for activities for the whole family. Advice to the public on how to move towards a zero-waste approach and a ‘100% ocean protection’ shop: water bottles, shopping bags, pocket ashtrays, bracelets made from recycled fishing nets, cooperative games…
– Every Sunday, 18 and 25 October and 1 November, a competition to collect cigarette butts in the streets with many prizes to be won, with our partner MéGo! Meeting point at the Stand The SeaCleaners in town.
– In schools and air centres in Sables-d’Olonne : awareness sessions on the protection of the oceans for 6-12 year olds.
– An exceptional evening on 4 November at 8 pm at the Grand Palace cinema in Sables-d’Olonne, with a screening of the film “Conqueror of the Ice” followed by a meeting with Yvan Bourgnon and a signing session. All profits from the evening will be donated to The SeaCleaners. Reservations and information on http://cinema-legrandpalace.fr/
Follow us on social media for exclusive interviews with skippers committed to the environment and live Vendée Globe news!