OceanIC plastic pollution

A world ecologic disaster

Play Video

+ 8,000,000 tons
of waste are dumped in the oceans every year

100,000 marine mammals are killed every year

+ than 1,400 marine species are already impacted

70 % of the floating waste end up sinking

450 years*for a plastic bottle to break down
*when under water, this time is almost infinite.

 5 countries in South-East Asia are responsible for
60% of ocean plastic pollution

90 % of the plastic waste
ending up in oceans from rivers and streams come from 

10 rivers and their tributaries
in Asia, Africa and South America.

Millions of Km2 are already polluted and have an impact on:

  • Human health (infertility, hormonal disruption, growth disorder, etc.)
  • The economy (deterioration of the coastal tourist activity, destruction of fishery resources, etc.)

THE RIVERS THAT CHARGE THE MOST PLASTIC

Fleuves Pollues

Poor land waste management

The main reason for the pollution is the absence of management of plastic waste in coastal and rivers areas and, to a lesser extent, the fishing and maritime industries. At this pace, in 2050, when the world population will reach 10 billion people there will be as many tons of plastic waste as fishes in the oceans.
(Source: Helen Mac Arthur Foundation).

Collect macro-waste as soon as possible

A necessity to avoid plastic waste from breaking down, becoming micro-waste, invisible to the human eye and directly ingested by marine micro-organisms which constitute the start of the marine food chain.
Gestion Dechets A Terre
75 % of ocean plastic waste sink, the remaining 25% drift in ocean currents. They can come back onshore hundreds or thousands of kilometers away but the majority will continue to drift and break down in micro-waste (more than 5mm) then in nano-waste.

Production of plastic waste

320 million tons/year, 1 billion in 2050. The largest amount of plastic waste dumped by rivers each year mainly come from 10 rivers or streams, estuaries and coastal areas with some aggravating climate events in certain areas (monsoon, cyclones, tsunami, flooding, etc.) with irreversible impact on human health (infertility, hormonal disruption, growth disorder, etc.) and the economy (deterioration of the coastal tourist activity, destruction of fishery resources, etc.)
Collecter Au Plus Tot

450 years for a plastic bottle to break down

It’s the estimated time for the plastic bottle to break down with the swell, currents and light but the duration becomes unlimited when it sinks in depths where it’s no longer affected.
Bouteille Plastique 450ans

In 30 years, 1 ton of plastic waste for 1 ton of fish.